Puppet Slam (noun): A curated collection of short-form pieces of adult puppet theater.
Experience the beauty, ingenuity, and hilarity of the best puppet slams from across the country. Thursday through Saturday, August 28-30, 8 PM each night on the Mainstage Theater at the Center for Puppetry Arts.
Ages 18 & up ONLY. Beer and wine bar available.
- The Joshua Show: Trick Yourself Into Being Happy by Joshua Holden from New York
Mr. Nicholas, the sock puppet, expresses his frustration with feeling grumpy and sad every day. Joshua, his soul mate, teaches him how to kick the blues by tricking himself into being happy.
- Sifters by Sarah Nolen from Connecticut
The story of love, loss, and letting go is told in silhouette.
- Real Puppetry of the Penis by Michael and Valerie Nelson from California
A demonstration of various penis puppets with commentary.
- The Mantis Sisters by Donna Kimball, Alison Mork, and Kristin Charney from California
Three sisters discuss the joys as well as the unique pitfalls of dating in the praying mantis world.
- Moon Gas by David T Steinman with Blake Love, Kit Leffler, Kalen Keir and Skyler Nowinski from Minnesota
A wild rock opera set in a subterraneous moon tavern.
- Milo the Magnificent by Alex Vernon and Sarah Olmsted Thomas from Maryland
Milo is a young, aspiring magician who’s thrilled to debut his first performance in front of a live audience. He will also exhibit his latest invention: the mechanical man!
- Who’s Lovin’ You by Marta Mozelle MacRostie and Jessica Simon from New York
A man and his heart-dog must struggle on after being dumped.
- Superstition by Brodrick Jones from New York
A black cat has a bad day.
- The Master by Anamaria Craciun from Connecticut
An apprentice has a life and death confrontation with its Master.
- Hot Carl by Paul McGinnis with Victor Yerrid and Haley Jenkins from New York
A black light, tabletop piece featuring a dancing skeleton.